Wiltshire Skies

LOG YOUR SIGHTINGS HERE
buckeye

Wiltshire Skies

Post by buckeye » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:33 pm

Hello there
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
After getting over the small hurdle of registering (thank you Falkor) I need to explain my reasons for posting.
Like most normal people the thought and open discussion of this topic is generally laughed off as little grey men and probing time comments, so I decided to seek out somewhere where I could at least openly post this without ridicule or negative opinion.

Right.
Friday night 22/08/14 at 23:15 I was out in the back garden.
It was a very clear night and as usual found myself staring at the stars.
One star in particular caught my attention it was more orange than the others with a fuzzy edge around it.
Size wise if you outstretched your arm and extended your thumb and forefinger to pinch it was about 5mm across about twice the size of the surrounding stars.
I saw it move fairly fast in a North South direction.
I saw it move from about 30' to when it went over the horizon in the South.
At first I thought it was a plane but without strobes quickly discounted that idea.
Then I thought it was probably a satellite.
Right up to the point where it was or seemed to be directly overhead when a bright and I mean bright white light cast a beam down for about two/three seconds then went off.
I initially thought "yep strobe " ie plane but the light never came back on and the "craft" went over the horizon out of view.

So
I did think it was strange, very strange my father was in the RAF so I am accustomed to seeing planes at night.
I checked on the ISS website to see if the station was over the UK that night thinking that was the cause but it wasn't.

So over to you guys any ideas or indeed did any of you see anything similar

Cheers

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Re: Wiltshire Skies

Post by falkor » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:18 am

welcome Buckeye, this is without vision aids right? just with the naked eye? was there any sound?
Right up to the point where it was or seemed to be directly overhead when a bright and I mean bright white light cast a beam down for about two/three seconds then went off
wow, this is the part!! a beam for 2 / 3 seconds? where was the beam focused on?

buckeye

Re: Wiltshire Skies

Post by buckeye » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:28 pm

falkor wrote:welcome Buckeye, this is without vision aids right? just with the naked eye? was there any sound?
Right up to the point where it was or seemed to be directly overhead when a bright and I mean bright white light cast a beam down for about two/three seconds then went off
wow, this is the part!! a beam for 2 / 3 seconds? where was the beam focused on?

HI
Thanks for the reply.

In greater detail the object looked like a pom pom made out of wool but flat. (sorry that is the best way to describe it) and orange bright orange like a vw beetle colour.
The beam was only visible after the object had gone from directly above me and I was looking up at it from an angle, similar to if you were looking at a laser beam not being able to see the beam till it was not in direct view.As in you can see the light but not the beam.
It was silent, the night was not noisy no road noise or otherwise, quite a still night really.

I really have no idea as to what I saw.
I really need some ideas as to what it was

What do you think?