Human intelligence 'peaked thousands of years ago'

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!
falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Human intelligence 'peaked thousands of years ago'

Post by falkor » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Is the human species doomed to intellectual decline? Will our intelligence ebb away in centuries to come leaving our descendants incapable of using the technology their ancestors invented? In short: will Homo be left without his sapiens?

This is the controversial hypothesis of a leading geneticist who believes that the immense capacity of the human brain to learn new tricks is under attack from an array of genetic mutations that have accumulated since people started living in cities a few thousand years ago
:D yes living in cities you Neanderthals READ MORE AND WEEP

I would wager that if an average citizen from Athens of 1000BC were to appear suddenly among us, he or she would be among the brightest and most intellectually alive of our colleagues and companions, with a good memory, a broad range of ideas and a clear-sighted view of important issues!! :o

dave3974
Investigator
Investigator

Re: Human intelligence 'peaked thousands of years ago'

Post by dave3974 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:46 pm

intresting thought, however there is also the theory that iq is incresing to cope with IT , and the more complicated everyday life we have . certainly evolutionary forces have changed with the stong no longer being the only ones that survive

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:07 pm

well evolution continues as natural disasters wipe out massive amounts of life forms e.g. asteroid impact, volcano, ice age

major events like that

I cannot see how humans could have evolved in the last 5000 years, due to what natural disaster? and how have we evolved at all then? :x we may actually be DE-EVOLVING ? I don't think you need to be "intelligent" to work a PC or a mobile phone, do you?

rob42
Investigator
Investigator

Post by rob42 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:33 am

falkor wrote:...we may actually be DE-EVOLVING ? I don't think you need to be "intelligent" to work a PC or a mobile phone, do you?
I'm just tying to get my head around the use of the term "DE-EVOLVING". By this, do you mean evolving in a way that is detrimental to our future existence, or something else?

No, you don't need a high degree of intelligence to operate a PC or a mobile phone, or come to that, a gun... but you do need to understand the consequential results of your actions and have at least some in-sight into what's going on in the background.

You're probability correct in your comments about a citizen from Athens of 1000BC and I'll wager that such a person would not take to long to masters the operation of these relatively 'simple to operate' devices.

The operation of more complex kit (such as an driving a car, riding a motorbike or flying an aircraft) requires skills that are, to some degree, acquired via the environment in which you live and require a very different skill-set than the one required to operate PC or a phone, not least the ability to process a lot of critical information very quickly; by this I mean the processing ability of the human brain, not the processing ability of the technology involved.

:|
Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one.
–Albert Einstein.