wonderful wind farms, are they the answer?

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!
falkor
Cleric
Cleric

wonderful wind farms, are they the answer?

Post by falkor » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:55 am

Half the time they sit motionless, but this week when the tail-end of Hurricane Katia bent trees at right angles across Britain, 13 wind farms had to close because they were generating too much electricity.

Enough energy to power Bristol was lost and the National Grid must now pay wind farm operators almost £2m to compensate for the disconnection, which is higher than the going rate for the fuel.

Never forget, some genius in Whitehall came up with this energy plan. Well paid for it he was, too.

the source article for this is buried at the bottom of this page : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z1YC5Jfa00

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Re: wonderful wind farms, are they the answer?

Post by mj12cz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:38 am

Sometimes too fast is not good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqEccgR0q-o

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:00 am

it seems strange that a cameraman is just there at the required moment

what are the chances? it's not a static camera either as the blimmen thing is moving about :vwide:

Hysteria
Scribe
Scribe

Post by Hysteria » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:14 am

I think the main problem with wind farms is the fact they tend to be a bit of a blot on the landscape

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:11 am

Agreed H, but when we can come up with a better idea they can be removed with out any damage to the landscape.

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 pm

they tend to be a bit of a blot on the landscape AND I am not convinced they are an economic proposition either

ok they are a tick on a form for this country, but does the huge effort and expense merit the actual product ? :hmmm:

Lieutenant Fatman

Post by Lieutenant Fatman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:11 pm

Too much electricity? Wow, that's a real shame, that doesn't sound efficient at all.
I think the wind farm technology needs some optimisation and improvement before it becomes a good idea. As it is, it's not great.

The best green fuel technology last time I checked was meant to be hydro-electricity. It's a shame we can't find ways to harness that in the UK.

thedeal
Gatherer
Gatherer

Post by thedeal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:26 pm

falkor wrote:they tend to be a bit of a blot on the landscape AND I am not convinced they are an economic proposition either

ok they are a tick on a form for this country, but does the huge effort and expense merit the actual product ? :hmmm:

Falkor,you are correct they are very un economic and many will not recoup there initial cost (manufacture,instalation,maintanence and so on)but we have some of the biggest tides in the world and there are many ways to capture the power of the sea but as with most things if the government dont like you or your plan it aint happening.

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:32 pm

thedeal wrote:
falkor wrote:they tend to be a bit of a blot on the landscape AND I am not convinced they are an economic proposition either

Falkor,you are correct they are very un economic and many will not recoup there initial cost (manufacture,instalation,maintanence and so on)but we have some of the biggest tides in the world and there are many ways to capture the power of the sea but as with most things if the government dont like you or your plan it aint happening.

I do wonder why we havnt harnesses the power of the sea... who knows.

There needs to be better ways of producing electricity because we are using more and more.