Soya - the scourge of the Earth

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!
AMYROSE
Rookie Investigator
Rookie Investigator

Soya - the scourge of the Earth

Post by AMYROSE » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:10 am

Soya is found in nearly all 'made' food products including bread, cakes and biscuits and all processed or packaged foods. It is also often labelled/disguised under the name of lecithin, once derived from milk.

It's very hard to avoid soya nowadays but you should and the reasons for this are manifold.

Soya contains oestrogen-like compounds called isoflavins. which are known to be endocrine disruptors. Even though they are technically not hormones, isoflavins act like hormones and studies at Harvard have discovered a massive decrease in the sperm count of men whose diets had a high ratio of soya – 41 million less sperm per ml than men who didn't eat soya based products.

Soya has also been shown to have a definite effect upon the menstrual cycles of pre-menopausal women and can disrupt endocrinal function to such a degree that soya is thought to be one of the prime candidates for the growth in infertility and its isoflavins are likely to produce and not reduce breast cancer. Indeed, such are the concerns about soya and cancer that in New South Wales, Australia, cancer patients are now strongly advised to avoid all produce containing soya.

Soya based infant feeding formula has been linked to the dramatic rise in the early puberty of girls, some as young as three, as well as the growing incidents of very delayed puberty in boys and an increasing lack of genital development in males. Babies fed exclusively on soya formula are in receipt of an oestrogenic equivalent of 5 birth control pills each day. Certain birth defects are also being linked to soya consumption. But this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Soya contain potent anti-thyroid agents that have severe repercussions upon the immune system and cause all manner of other problems and also has all manner of anti-nutrients that stop the body from assimilating numerous important dietary components such as calcium, iron and B12.

When soya was introduced into bird feed thousands of birds died and those hatched to parent birds fed on this feed experienced beak and bone deformities, immune deficiencies, goitres, infertility and premature maturation. In another example, in just one year, 29 cheetahs died in a North American zoo (I hate zoos, anyway) when they were fed on a diet with a soya bean component, of the unusually low 18 births that year 7 young cheetahs died before reaching adulthood. The evil experiments with lab' animals and soya produces extremely worrying results, which I shall not go into cos of time and space, but boy they are really worrying.

So why has there been such a flurry of pro-soya media coverage during the last couple of decades? In a word – Monsanto and with a few other words - the many millions of dollars offered to fund scientists to reveal the 'health benefits' of soya !

GM soya was introduced into Argentina, in 1996 because it was heralded by Monsanto reps' as a miracle money maker and labour saver for the numerous peasant rural farmers who had always grown a variety of different crops to support themselves, their families and those that worked for them.

Argentina now provides 80% of the worlds soya and the multitude of small farmers who first began growing this miracle food have had to sell their farms to huge corporate empires as they cannot afford the exorbitant prices that Monsanto now charge them for their GM soya seeds and, of course, the hideous 'Round-up Ready' pesticide needed for its cultivation. At first Monsanto gave a huge price discount on their products but as soon as the land became so nutrient deficient it couldn't sustain any other crop, except highly noxious weeds that are 'Round-up Ready' resistant, they severely upped their prices and forbid the farmers from collecting seed whilst introducing regular policing patrols and enormous fines for anyone caught 'stealing' seed.

There is an area in Argentina called Cordoba, which a century ago contained 10 million hectares of forest – rainforest, but since soya bean farming has been introduced only 12% of the forests in this area remain and are diminishing. This is causing landslides and small towns and many smaller villages have been destroyed. Not only this but people from some distance away are receiving parasitic infections from the sandflies leaving the forests, their former home. These infections are expensive to treat and lead to terrible scars and deformities – reinfection is common.

The Vegan Society website states, 'The Japanese have traditionally consumed soya equivalent to 100g of tofu or half a pint of soya milk daily, and enjoyed better health and longer life than Westerners'. Bolshevik! I lived in Japan and traditionally wives fed their husbands tofu if they thought they were having an affair as it was considered wonderfully able to decrease their virility. Also, tofu dishes were extremely uncommon on restaurant menus – I can think of two, and only one was usual

Apparently, as the ancient South East Asians realised, soya needs to be fermented as this breaks down and renders inactive many of its anti-nutrient properties (another beeg problem with soya) and the other safe guards this self protective plant developed to keep predators away – making them infertile, for example.

Yaawwnn - I'm off to bed now. Nite all

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Re: Soya - the scourge of the Earth

Post by mj12cz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:41 pm

:shock:

I'll never eat it again... to be fair not that I eat it on a regular basis anyway!
:vwide:

To be fair its rather freaky!

Paxovasa
Hunter
Hunter
Holy: Hunter

Post by Paxovasa » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:08 pm

Soya sauce is nice, especially on Chinese food :D
We come in peace - shoot to kill.

I aint no pleb

AMYROSE
Rookie Investigator
Rookie Investigator

Post by AMYROSE » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:20 pm

Yep, Paxovasa I'll second that - it's also good with a lot of Indonesian and Malaysian food and Japanese, of course, who make the best soy sauce. If you'd read the article you would have noticed that the fermentation of soy destroys many of it's nasty stuff! :vwide:

Pat, it's very difficult to avoid soya - it's found in nearly all pre-made food stuffs.

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:52 am

AMYROSE wrote:Yep, Paxovasa I'll second that - it's also good with a lot of Indonesian and Malaysian food and Japanese, of course, who make the best soy sauce. If you'd read the article you would have noticed that the fermentation of soy destroys many of it's nasty stuff! :vwide:

Pat, it's very difficult to avoid soya - it's found in nearly all pre-made food stuffs.

its kinda worrying, who knows what they add to food these days. :shock:

I do keep away from premade and try to stick to fresh veg, meat etc

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks for letting me know, its put me off my Soya sauce but its worth it.
'' It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me ''

Paxovasa
Hunter
Hunter
Holy: Hunter

Post by Paxovasa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:11 pm

Why make into looking like meat?

And don't get me started on Linda McCartney sausages :x
We come in peace - shoot to kill.

I aint no pleb

dave3974
Investigator
Investigator

Post by dave3974 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:40 pm

Rubbish , pseudo science ; soy is safe it has been eaten [and tested] for thousnds of years in the east.

pick on another food , how about the evil potato [ the green bit are poisonous- but you have to eat a ton of them], perhaps the chip is a new world order plot to make the working class fat and have bad hearts---------------get real , soy is a saviour
k

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:25 am

hi Dave ;)
Soya contains oestrogen-like compounds called isoflavins. which are known to be endocrine disruptors. Even though they are technically not hormones, isoflavins act like hormones and studies at Harvard have discovered a massive decrease in the sperm count of men whose diets had a high ratio of soya
I was about to say GREAT! this should lead to a decrease in the massive world over-population then!

but people who can't have a baby and want one then get massive help from the NHS to ensure they do!

I know it's a controversial topic but when we're actually standing shoulder to shoulder, every bit of green belt has been built on and the rest is covered in motorways then maybe just maybe or perhaps not

Spacedout
Gatherer
Gatherer

Post by Spacedout » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:12 pm

i think people have known for a long time about its harmful effects on the thyroid gland.

and surely the majority of the time the soya is fermented into tofu, like with wimdu[/url] process or whatever its called, thus avoiding many of the disadvantages, mm?
Last edited by Spacedout on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

playthefool
Scribe
Scribe

Post by playthefool » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:20 am

dave3974 wrote:Rubbish , pseudo science ; soy is safe it has been eaten [and tested] for thousnds of years in the east.

pick on another food , how about the evil potato [ the green bit are poisonous- but you have to eat a ton of them], perhaps the chip is a new world order plot to make the working class fat and have bad hearts---------------get real , soy is a saviour
k

yes, soy has been eaten for thousands of years, but not GM soy! And this is a big difference. It is like old corn that used to be healthy for indians but now is just to sweet and has a dramatic high glycemic index, making people fat and obese. Don't play the fool :bookW:

Spacedout
Gatherer
Gatherer

Post by Spacedout » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:46 am

I would never knowingly buy and consume GM soya, most of the big soya companies, Alpro, Provamel and Taifun do not use GM products. And Taifun only uses European soya beans to reduce the risk of contamination with GM crops, something that could happen in the US where both GM and non GM are grown.

AMYROSE
Rookie Investigator
Rookie Investigator

Post by AMYROSE » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:26 pm

dave3974 wrote ...'Rubbish , pseudo science ; soy is safe it has been eaten [and tested] for thousnds of years in the east.

Nah dave wrong. You reeled off ill-educated nonsense there and showed you didn't read my post in its entirety. However, soya hasn't been eaten in its 'unfermented' form for thousands of years in the east! It was originally used in china thousands of years ago as green manure - to bring nutrients to the soil, and was only used as a food source in its non fermented form a considerable time later during times of famine!

I lived and traveled for more than a couple of years in the far East and non-fermented soya (tofu) is not popular or commonly eaten....a few tiny cubes in miso soup and an occasional stir fry or braised dish will include it, but generally it's rather unusual to find tofu dishes on any restaurant menu. Reread the post to find out how Japanese wives use tofu.

AMYROSE
Rookie Investigator
Rookie Investigator

Post by AMYROSE » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:36 pm

spacedout....great name. Alpro and provamel were bought out in 2009 by dean foods, a massive America diary company who do not have a good or even reasonable ethical name. Prior to this take over their (deanfoods)range of non gm soy products had been tested by consumer research organisations and found to contain gm soya and they refuse to divulge the source or country origin of their soy suppliers. The widely held belief is it's Argentina.