an end to 'council housing for life'?

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!
falkor
Cleric
Cleric

an end to 'council housing for life'?

Post by falkor » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:34 am

Image council house for life?

The Liberal Democrat deputy leader today strongly criticised David Cameron's suggestion of bringing an end to 'council housing for life'.
4 AUG 10 Daily Mail
In a sign the move could spark a highly-damaging row within the coalition, Simon Hughes said his party would need a 'lot of persuading' into backing it.
Mr Hughes dismissed the prospect as a 'prime ministerial idea', warned it risked breaking up communities and pointed out the current security on offer was 'important'.
He signalled his party's opposition after Mr Cameron yesterday suggested security of tenure for council tenants could be entirely scrapped.
This would see the most radical reform in housing since Margaret Thatcher introduced the 'Right to Buy' 30 years ago.
Tenants would instead have a lease lasting five or ten years so that those with greater need could have their homes if they found a better job or could afford to rent privately.
It would also mean that parents whose children have flown the nest could be forced to move into smaller homes so a larger family can take over their house.

Mr Hughes said: 'It's radical ideas coming from progressive Prime Ministers but it's no more than that. It's a prime ministerial idea - it has no more validity yet and I think our party would need a lot of persuading that it has merit or could work.'

dave3974
Investigator
Investigator

Re: an end to 'council housing for life'?

Post by dave3974 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:27 pm

why should a council house be for life , the welfare state is finite and greatly abused by the scrounging classes=======the dificult question is how to pay for these benifits r

Spacedout
Gatherer
Gatherer

Post by Spacedout » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:06 pm

The point is that the state should be there to care for those most vulnerable people.
Anyone see that documentary Poor Kids? it was completely harrowing, and this type of injust policy will end up hurting those who most need help. Studies show that social mobility is slowing down, so kids born in these council houses are more likely than ever to stay in them all their lives, and with this rise in poverty and sink in opportunities now, people need more help than ever.

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:26 pm

The system in the UK is so massively abused here in the UK, there needs to be a serious change to the whole system.

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:01 pm

I think the Labour Party was just having an "easy life" by not challenging the abuse over the last 10 years

much easier to ignore it

as for "council housing for life" my brother is living in a council house and doesn't earn a lot of money

I dread to think of him being told to find "alternative accommodation" :(

maybe a means tested approach could work?

Spacedout
Gatherer
Gatherer

Post by Spacedout » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:48 am

I think there is a difference between abuse and people who have the potential to 'better' themselves but for whatever reason are unable to.

I think council housing and free health service for life are essential to a democratic society and even though there is some abuse, abolishing it for that reason is not logical at alll, it is there because people need it! Ambulance services get abused loads for people ringing 999 for mad reasons but it doesnt mean we should stop the whole thing does it? Would make them even more in need of help.

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:29 am

I don't think anyone who needs a council house should move, but I know tqo people who earm £80K plus living in a council house, they could easily buy something and free up a home for a working family who need it.

The other thing that needs looking at it people who are on benefits for life!

Spacedout
Gatherer
Gatherer

Post by Spacedout » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:31 am

Reallly? How awful. I dont know how people can do that, just sheer greed its awful.

I know what you mean about the benefits thing, but i think they should really look at the problem holistically, putting a stupid plaster on it isnt gonna work! (I have been watching The Scheme all weekend, hence the anger!)

AMYROSE
Rookie Investigator
Rookie Investigator

Post by AMYROSE » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 pm

We have (that is the people and not the scroungers...who are the politicians, company shareholders and directors, councilors and the like and NOT people claiming JSA and other paltry benefits) paid for these homes ten fold and the people living in them should live in them as long as they chose. Indeed, with the amount we (the workers or those on benefits and not the mega-scroungers listed above) have and are paying to the corporations these mega-scroungers fraudulently take (thieve)from us..... we should all be provided with free housing for life!!!!!

Our nation the U.K is a corporation...all corporations are formed to make money. Our police force, who swear allegiance to the queen and not to us are privately owned.e.g Devon and Cornwalls police force are owned by IBM but are paid for by us! Our education establishments likewise are usually dividend paying corporations...yes, that's the apparently state run ones, or the ones we pay for. It's all a con.

dave3974
Investigator
Investigator

Post by dave3974 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:12 pm

no one is owed a free ride ; state housing is for the poor , i can not see why my taxes should subsidise those that would prefer an idle life or those that can afford to care for themselfs.

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:01 am

Devon and Cornwalls police force are owned by IBM but are paid for by us!
Yes that is quite obvious

Thames Valley Police are owned by Kelloggs hence their breakfast habits early in the morning

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Don't you mean mcdonalds malc! Many happy mornings in Mcc'd

AMYROSE
Rookie Investigator
Rookie Investigator

Post by AMYROSE » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:30 pm

Dave you state.....'no one is owed a free ride ; state housing is for the poor , i can not see why my taxes should subsidise those that would prefer an idle life or those that can afford to care for themselfs.'

You prefer your taxes to fund the bankers then...some nice £10mill yearly bonus's for a few? And you're happy for your taxes to fund the multi-billion empires known as petrochemical, or help with the millions given every year to Cancer Research..so that it doesn't find a cure for cancer...because it's too bloody lucrative not too? Let's not forget the amount of taxes spent each year on weapons of mass destruction to torture, maim and murder people of all ages living in squalid conditions in thrid world countries...you want your taxes to be spent on that? What do you mean by no one is owed a 'free ride'? My guess is you mean not the impoverished canon fodder of this country...but it's fine for the fat cats to rob you!

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:25 am

my brother lives in a council house but his two sprogs left home 3 or 4 years back

theoretically him and his missus should now move out to make way for a new young family who are just starting out in life

this is the whole problem, a new young family who are just starting out in life go where?

and I don't want my brother to have to move out! ! :narked:

AMYROSE
Rookie Investigator
Rookie Investigator

Post by AMYROSE » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Well HM the Queens family are all grown with children of their own...except the gay one, that is, or has sophie had chiildren? The queen has numerous homes with lots of rooms, indded, there is one in windsor which our taxes paid to have completely refurbished after a fire some years back and now she is charging us to look inside it even though we paid all that money, should she move out of all her homes as they are waaaaaayyyy too large for her and her husband?