can man OUTLIVE the sun?

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!

can man OUTLIVE the sun?

You may select 1 option

View results

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

can man OUTLIVE the sun?

Post by falkor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:26 pm

The problem for both Earthly and unearthly civilisations, as James Kasting's book How to Find a Habitable Planet (Princeton, £20.95) reminds us, is time. Hydrogen-fusing stars with a lifetime of five to 10 billion years must accrete, ignite, burn and then explode just to forge and distribute carbon and oxygen and the other 89 elements needed to fashion an appropriately sized rocky planet with a watery surface, ideally in a "Goldilocks zone" a safe distance from a second-generation parent star, ideally with a large moon to stabilise its axial spin, with a geomagnetic field to deflect deadly solar missiles and enough interior tectonic activity to keep renewing itself.

Here on Earth, life began within the first billion years, but complex life required another 3.8 billion years to make a primate. In 5 billion years, the sun will flare up and incinerate planet Earth, but life's tenure will have ended long before that, perhaps 500 million years from now, as carbon dioxide levels fall to near zero, plants perish and the seas begin to boil away. To survive, tomorrow's Earthlings must find somewhere else to live. ET, presumably, faces the same pressure.

Tim Radford The Guardian, Saturday 27 March 2010

monkeynuts
Rookie Investigator
Rookie Investigator
Holy: Hunter

Re: can man OUTLIVE the sun?

Post by monkeynuts » Wed May 26, 2010 8:55 pm

What an interesting question :gog:

Question is will we make it long enough to devise the techonolgy to leave this system- The planets resources are diminshing, he ever threat of 'armageddon' through war or otherwise, global warming..blah blah blah.

I think eventually at some point it will end up where we will have the technology to survive without the need for a homeworld where we will be self sufficient in space and we will merely wander the stars consuming resources we need for construction through mining of other planets and cosmic bodies. We will probably have colonies on hospitable worlds if discovered though the whole thing is determined on whether the technology can be devised where we can break free from our solar system.

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Mon May 31, 2010 1:17 pm

I can't see how we can survive if the Sun dies ? especially if it goes Super Nova as it will wipe out the planet in its wake.
'' It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me ''

chulhee

Post by chulhee » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:19 am

I don't think we can live without sun. I myself can probably be upset if there's no sunshine :(
you know that in Finland, there's a lot of people committed suicide because of that

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:23 pm

chulhee wrote:I don't think we can live without sun. I myself can probably be upset if there's no sunshine :(
you know that in Finland, there's a lot of people committed suicide because of that

Interesting comment, I do now that a mate of mine was working early in the morning to early evening over the winter. He worked in a building with no windows and over the winter months only say the sun at weekends after 3 months he became very depressed.

Paxovasa
Hunter
Hunter
Holy: Hunter

Post by Paxovasa » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:55 am

S.A.D doesn't affect me, i am a miserable so so whether it is sunny or not :D
We come in peace - shoot to kill.

I aint no pleb

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric