humans: the only intelligent beings in the universe

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!

You may select 1 option

View results

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:15 pm

Kasting's book – serious planetary science with graphs, equations and chemical symbols – is a readable guide to the many things we have just begun to understand about a solar system. Davies's book is an authoritatively written, immensely clear, lay person's guide to the many things we don't know about the rest of the universe. The two complement each other, and end on a similarly speculative note.

"My own guess is that, just as we learned that the Sun is an ordinary star, we will find that Earth is an ordinary planet and that life itself is a commonplace phenomenon that exists on most, or all, such planets," says Kasting. "But that is just a guess." The scientist in him, says Davies, suspects that humans may be the only intelligent beings in the universe. The philosopher in him hates the idea. "Frankly, it makes me uneasy. I wonder what all that stuff out there is for, when only lowly Homo sapiens gets to see it."

The Eerie Silence: Are We Alone in the Universe?
by Paul Davies

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Re: humans: the only intelligent beings in the universe

Post by mj12cz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:58 am

I would not call us intelligent to be fair.

I suspect that there are creatures out there that make us look as intelligent as slugs.

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:18 pm

didn't scientists agree that a being is intelligent if it has an understanding that it will die?

animals have no understanding of their own approaching death so therefore - not intelligent

AMYROSE
Rookie Investigator
Rookie Investigator

Post by AMYROSE » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Full agreement mj12cz I am also certain we, humans, are not an especially intelligent example of a universal creature. We only, from all the animals on this planet, have the potential to be universally intelligent, to what level I'm obviously not at all sure, but if only 1/10th of our brains capacity is being used at present, well . . . this shows our educational systems fail dismally and that we display, behave and work from a really decrepit example of human intelligence. :oops:

These 'brain use' statistics have varied over the last few decades but the 1/10th example is one of the few scientific assertions that I concur with, as state of the art technology was used to bring images of the areas of the brain that numerous volunteers had at their disposal, and also it aligns with my own experience of human beings. :|

Thankfully, over a period of time, I have discovered and explored numerous ancient Yoga texts that detail practices which will enable anyone to increase their intelligence, wisdom, psychological and physiological well-being, enormously. There is also an amazingly scientific philosophy inherent in the vast subject of Yoga. A science and philosophy that goes way beyond our fragmented, babble orientated and highly disreputable sciences. Take, for example, our silly psychological sciences, the Jungian approach to consciousness (still the primary source of psychological thought today) was heavily borrowed from Yoga texts. Unfortunately, Manly P. Hall, whose incredibly well stocked library Jung utilised, had only a limited number of translated Yogic scriptures. Therefore, his 'borrowed' or 'plagiarised' understanding of consciousness was highly flawed, as it was limited to the few, often poorly translated, Yoga texts then available. But we still lean on Jungs theories as if they were 'true' and his theory of consciousness was even clinically disproved by a Yogi in the 1970's. :geek:

Yes, at the moment we are a really stupid animal and, of course, if someone were to check out the apparent dimensions and make-up of the universe only an extraordinarily stupid example of what is now a really stupid animal would say that other intelligent life forms do not exist in the universe. :lol:

As far as animals not being aware that the will die this really needs little contemplation to be lambasted. Without including the examples of elephants graveyards and salmon making an arduous swim against the currents as they return to their place of birth just to die, what about the fact that many animals live in herds and witness death from a young age? Does anyone believe that that mammals don't register this in what are actually their rather able brains? And why do many animals run from lions and avoid humans whilst living easily in close proximity with many other creatures? Of course, animals know about death! :roll:

But what is death? The demise of the physical body and the mind but in my opinion not the spirit - this is an on-going entity, devoid of death as we presently understand it with our 1/10th active brain matter. :D

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 am

That thig is if we can figute out how to use more of our brain we can do so much more, however looking at some of the muppets that roam the streets these days I wonder if we will ever get there.

AMYROSE
Rookie Investigator
Rookie Investigator

Post by AMYROSE » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:30 pm

Hatha and other paths to yoga incorporate numerous techniques that expand human awareness and quickly develop and work the unused areas of the human brain. Point is you will need to have 'proper' yoga training and there are very, very few classes that teach real yoga - it is not a type of exercise. However, if you live in or near Lincoln 'real' yoga classes are held at the YMCA St. Rumbolds street on Mondays 6.30-8.30pm (an advanced class) and Tuesdays 7.15-8.45 to 9pm (general/beginners).