LHC

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!
mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

LHC

Post by mj12cz » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:03 am

They have got it back up and running!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20091121/twl ... d0ae9.html

The machine which could shed light on the Big Bang has been restarted more than a year after it was shut down because of technical faults. Skip related content

Beams of protons circulated in the Large Hadron Collider on Friday for the first time since it was damaged shortly after its launch in September 2008.

The successful switch-on is a significant step forward for the team hoping to use the machine for new scientific experiments on the creation of the universe.

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Re: LHC

Post by falkor » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:10 am

just hope they "discover" something with it :b-)
The £4.4bn machine has undergone repairs costing £24m in an effort to avoid another setback like the one which put it out of action for more than a year.
so who paid the £24m repair bill?

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:47 pm

Lets hope they don't cause a tear in the fabric of space and time. :|
'' It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me ''

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:08 pm

falkor wrote:just hope they "discover" something with it :b-)
The £4.4bn machine has undergone repairs costing £24m in an effort to avoid another setback like the one which put it out of action for more than a year.
so who paid the £24m repair bill?
Interesting question, i suspect there are bigger powers behind this.

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:57 pm

DarkKnight wrote:Lets hope they don't cause a tear in the fabric of space and time. :|
and if they did

would they admit it?

I mean they wouldn't exactly pick up the phone to THE SUN with "here LHC here boyo, errrr we have a press release for you"

whatever they discover .....

how many years would it be, before we found out? :D

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:28 pm

falkor wrote:
DarkKnight wrote:Lets hope they don't cause a tear in the fabric of space and time. :|
and if they did

would they admit it?

I mean they wouldn't exactly pick up the phone to THE SUN with "here LHC here boyo, errrr we have a press release for you"

whatever they discover .....

how many years would it be, before we found out? :D

We would never find out, most likely we would never have existed.
'' It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me ''

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:05 am

A mere seven trillion electron volts could still find "God particle," collider scientists speculate.Image
Ker Than .. for National Geographic News

Published February 22, 2010

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is slated to be reawakened Thursday, at the earliest, LHC directors say. The reboot comes after a run at the highest energies yet for any particle accelerator—or atom smasher—and a scheduled winter break.

The Large Hadron Collider will be run at only half power, because equipment upgrades are needed before full-power operation is advisable, LHC scientists decided.

But the LHC should still be capable of some stunning discoveries, experts say—perhaps even the detection of extra dimensions or evidence of the Higgs boson, or "God particle."

Particle accelerators use electric fields to channel particles into extremely narrow, fast-moving beams. (Learn more about atom smashers.)

By colliding some of these beams, the physicists at the Large Hadron Collider hope to recreate the intense conditions just after the big bang and to solve other scientific riddles, such as the nature of dark matter, the invisible material that scientists think makes up most of the universe's mass.

Operated by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), the Large Hadron Collider is housed in an oval-shaped, 7-mile-long (27-kilometer-long) tunnel beneath the French-Swiss border

After more than a year of repairs to fix electrical malfunctions that occurred during its initial run in September 2008, the Large Hadron Collider was restarted in November 2009.

In December scientists obtained the first scientific results from the LHC before a scheduled shutdown to save on electricity costs. (See "LHC Gets First Results; Step Toward 'God Particle'?")

al1en
Scribe
Scribe

Post by al1en » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:39 pm

I cant remember who it was who said it, but its pretty funny that the scale of results range from absolutely nothing, to a black whole being created.

I cant wait to see what results it brings

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:04 pm

If they do create a black hole let hope they can switch it off if it get out of hand!

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:03 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQza3X12YzQ
NYbudMan87YAY!!! 1 day ago
jabahut1@evilsinz I'm sorry to disappoint you Mr. Troll. 1 day ago
evilsinz@jabahut1 Try again, you failed to make a coherent sentence. 1 day ago
jabahut1@evilsinz In know everything about you and your account. 2 days ago
evilsinz@jabahut1 Yeah, they should have used the money on making a web site where really fucking stupid people can make dumb fucking comments about how others waste money. 2 days ago
jabahut1What a waste of money. 2 days ago
fatalist6o9@psychobollox "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell. Remind you of anything?
I doubt most of what you say, and you are so sure of it. You don't even know how the Dunning-Kruger effect works on you. I really am leaving it now. 2 days ago
psychobollox@fatalist6o9
I don't need to know anything about Easter to wish someone a happy one! You're making mine quite happy by carrying on responding.
(Maybe I should be kind to this poor Dunning-Kruger sufferer... after all, it's not his fault that he has this delusion about his 'understanding' of things academic and intellectual..... but then again... with D-K, it IS the person's fault... they choose to think they know more than they actually know)
Happy Easter.
Oh, and STFU. 3 days ago
Akatam0t0maHopefully soon we will unlock the secrets of the beginning of our universe with this collider! :-) 3 days ago
fatalist6o9@psychobollox Course I do Mr. expert psychologist, holier than thou, far superior to anyone. You say happy easter but you obviously don't know shit about it. You blasphemed in enough comments. You make me roar. I know you'll keep responding too. You want to feel like you've won or something but then you point the finger at me. 3 days ago
fatalist6o9Scientists are proper tards. I rest my case. 3 days ago
psychobollox@fatalist6o9

Holy Fucking Christ!

If it weren't so late at night I'd be laughing my arse off, but it is near morning - I should sleep.

You can't handle being wrong. Grow a fucking IQ!

And leave me and Darusdei alone. 3 days ago
fatalist6o9@psychobollox You've been arguing all this time and now you're in denial. You've contradicted yourself enough times. You must have too much time on your hands if this is all you do. You're the sort of sad cunt that has to get the last word in to make yourself feel better. That's fine, if it makes you think you've won the argument that we never had. You really are a tard... 3 days ago
psychobollox@fatalist6o9

For a while I've been taking the piss. I had a go at you (quite rightly) for being a total arse. And then I tried to explain something to you - and you were too fucking stupid to understand. So I thought - 'fuck it' and started to take the fuck out of you.

And i fucking enjoyed it too.

You can't handle someone else having the last word. I know how to goad you into trying.

Because only if I capitulate (without good reason, I might add), will you even come close to shutting up. 3 days ago
psychobollox@fatalist6o9

And I have no reason to capitulate, so I won't. So all I have to do is to post something that you can't handle and you will automatically respond - it's all you can do!

It is really easy to get someone like you to make a total twat of themselves... all I have to do is to tell you you're wrong about something you think that you are right about but haven't got the necessary learning to understand. The Dunning-Kruger Effect takes care of the rest.

Bazzinga!

Happy Easter... 3 days ago
fatalist6o9@psychobollox How mature for a 47 year old. I hope I ain't that sad when I get to that age. 3 days ago
psychobollox@fatalist6o9

LoL

You're sad at whatever age you are. You keep responding. I know you will. That's why I do it.

Nothing sad about this. You knew what you read one of the most recent ones of these posts that I was doing this and you STILL fucking respond. Why?

Let me urge you - in the interests of you not looking more like a total imbecile - NOT to respond. Just give up ... and move on.

If you respond after THIS...

You need your head looked at. You have dependency issues.

Happy Easter. 3 days ago
fatalist6o9@psychobollox Faux 'cool'! Oh my god your so intellectual. I bet you got bullied at school for being a nerdy uncool twat who just did what you were told, and lapped up the bullshit. 3 days ago
psychobollox@fatalist6o9

Actually, no. Suree - I got bullied at school. And yeh, kinda nerdy. Do as I was told? Fuck off! LoL

I did what I wanted, basically.

You - on the other hand - did what I wanted: you continued this ... if you had any intelligence at all, you would have known that the past few messages have been to goad you.

Bazzinga! 3 days ago
enjoy the reasoned debate :wide: OR view the vid :vwide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQza3X12YzQ