What if you could mine the Moon?

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!
falkor
Cleric
Cleric

What if you could mine the Moon?

Post by falkor » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:19 pm

"The most important thing about the Moon is probably the stuff we haven't even discovered," says Mr Richards. "But what we do know is that there could be more platinum-group metals on the surface of the Moon than all of the reserves of Earth. The race is on."
By Regan Morris BBC News, Los Angeles
"We know that there's water on the Moon, which is a game-changer for the solar system. Water is rocket fuel. It also can support life and agriculture. So exploring the Moon commercially is a first step towards making the Moon part of our world, what humanity considers our world," says Bob Richards, CEO of Silicon Valley-based Moon Express, one of 25 companies racing to win the $30m in Google Lunar X Prizes.

It is considered to be among the top-three teams in the running for the prize. The other two are Pittsburgh-based Astrobiotic and Barcelona Moon Team.

Google's $20m first prize will be awarded to the first privately funded company to land a robot on the Moon that successfully explores the surface by moving at least 500m and sends high-definition video back to Earth.

A second place team stands to win $5m for completing the same mission, with bonus prizes for teams that travel more than 5km or find water. The deadline is 2015.

rob42
Investigator
Investigator

Re: What if you could mine the Moon?

Post by rob42 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:57 am

falkor wrote: Google's $20m first prize will be awarded to the first privately funded company to land a robot on the Moon that successfully explores the surface by moving at least 500m and sends high-definition video back to Earth.

A second place team stands to win $5m for completing the same mission, with bonus prizes for teams that travel more than 5km or find water. The deadline is 2015.
I would have thought that this would be a bit of a money maker for the likes of Elon Musk or Bas Lansdorp?

How much do you think it would cost to pull this off? It has to be way less than the $20m on offer right, or where's the incentive?
:?:
Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one.
–Albert Einstein.