/media-hypocrisy-wikileaks

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!
rob42
Investigator
Investigator

/media-hypocrisy-wikileaks

Post by rob42 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:14 am

I found this interesting story on RT — http://rt.com/news/media-hypocrisy-wikileaks-award-243/

It's about the selective reporting, misrepresentation and hypocrisy of the UK press in general (and The Guard­ian news­pa­per in particular) and also the blocking of free speech by the powers-that-be. This was evident at an event where Dr. T. Fingar was presented this year's award from the Sam Adams Asso­ci­ates for Integ­rity in Intel­li­gence.

Among the speakers at this year's ceremony was Julian Assange.
Paul Hackett / Reuters wrote: Where to start with this tangled skein of media spin, mis­rep­res­ent­a­tion and out­right hypocrisy?

Last week the Sam Adams Asso­ci­ates for Integ­rity in Intel­li­gence presen­ted this year’s award to Dr Tom Fin­gar at a cere­mony jointly hos­ted by the pres­ti­gi­ous Oxford Union Soci­ety.

Dr Fin­gar, cur­rently a vis­it­ing lec­turer at Oxford, had in 2007 co-ordinated the pro­duc­tion of the US National Intel­li­gence Estim­ate — the com­bined ana­lysis of all 16 of America’s intel­li­gence agen­cies — which assessed that the Ira­nian nuc­lear weapon­isa­tion pro­gramme had ceased in 2003. This con­sidered and author­it­at­ive Estim­ate dir­ectly thwarted the 2008 US drive towards war against Iran, and has been reaf­firmed every year since then.

By the very fact of doing his job of provid­ing dis­pas­sion­ate and object­ive assess­ments and res­ist­ing any pres­sure to politi­cise the intel­li­gence (à la Down­ing Street Memo), Dr Fingar’s work is out­stand­ing and he is the win­ner of Sam Adams Award, 2012. This may say some­thing about the par­lous state of our intel­li­gence agen­cies gen­er­ally, but don’t get me star­ted on that…

All the national and inter­na­tional media were invited to attend what was an his­toric gath­er­ing of inter­na­tional whis­lteblowers and cover an award given to someone who, by doing their job with integ­rity, pre­ven­ted yet fur­ther ruin­ous war and blood­shed in the Middle East.

Few atten­ded, still fewer repor­ted on the event, and the prom­ised live stream­ing on You­tube was blocked by shad­owy powers at the very last minute — an irony con­sid­er­ing the Oxford Union is renowned as a free speech society...
I hope that you find the full story as interesting as I did...

:|
Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one.
–Albert Einstein.

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Re: /media-hypocrisy-wikileaks

Post by falkor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:16 am

Comgratulations on 100 posts Rob!! So glad you joined the site!! :b-)

rob42
Investigator
Investigator

Re: /media-hypocrisy-wikileaks

Post by rob42 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:13 pm

falkor wrote:Comgratulations on 100 posts Rob!! So glad you joined the site!! :b-)
Thanks buddy; And thank you for the time and effort that you've put in setting up and running the site.

I'm not sure that I "fit in" here yet, but time will tell.

Latter... :mrgreen:
Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one.
–Albert Einstein.