Could Mars voyage cause Alzheimer's ?

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!
falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Could Mars voyage cause Alzheimer's ?

Post by falkor » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:18 am

Research into space radiation exposure suggests new risk to long-distance astronauts -- symptoms of dementia.
by Amanda Kooser | January 3, 2013 3:40 PM
My brother has told me that if a manned Mars mission were seeking volunteers, he'd be the first in line, even if it meant never coming back. I wouldn't want him to go, but my desire to keep him Earth-bound is even more intense after checking out a new study on the impact of radiation on potential manned Mars missions.

A study published in PLOS One looks at the effects of galactic cosmic radiation on mice. Researchers exposed the mice to particle irradiation like that found in space. The result was cognitive impairment in line with the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease.

The study's lead author is Dr. M. Kerry O'Banion, a professor of neurobiology and anatomy at the University of Rochester Medical Center. Researchers exposed 29 male mice and 20 female mice to controlled doses of radiation at NASA's Space Radiation Laboratory at Brookhaven National Laboratory.

dave3974
Investigator
Investigator

Re: Could Mars voyage cause Alzheimer's ?

Post by dave3974 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:54 pm

WITHOUT DOUBT THE VOYAGERS WILL BE SUBJECT TO HIGH RADIATION EXPOSURES ON THE WAY THERE AND ON THE SURFACE, THIS MEANS SOME CLEVER ENGINEERING TO GET AROUND THE PROBLEM . THE MENTAL STRESS OF BEING COOPED UP IN A SMALL BOX WILL BE EXTREME TO