seven planets in galaxy could be habitable!

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!
falkor
Cleric
Cleric

seven planets in galaxy could be habitable!

Post by falkor » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:14 pm

A catalogue aiming to list all the known planets in the galaxy that could be habitable to life featured only two when it was launched a year ago.
But as it celebrated its first birthday, scientists said there were now five more planets on the list, exceeding all expectations.
Many more planets that could harbour life are also expected to join the online database, called the Habitable Exoplanets Catalog, they said.

Scientists know of nearly 900 confirmed exoplanets, or extrasolar planets, with over 2,500 still awaiting confirmation. But only a few of those might be good candidates for life as we know it.

Lead researcher Abel Mendez said the team had expected to add only one or two more planets to the list in its first year.

This new catalogue page is most agreeable, first showing the seven habitable planets "at a glance," and a comparison to Earth and Mars, then going through each planet one by one - devoting half a page to each in "easy to read" graphics and text. A real achievement and enjoyable to mull over whether you have 1 minute to spare or 10.

There are also further items to peruse such as the "TOP TEN" which is another great page of highly delightful data, great website!

rob42
Investigator
Investigator

Re: seven planets in galaxy could be habitable!

Post by rob42 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:03 pm

What do they mean by "habitable"? Habitable in what way? Where's the evidence that any of these planets are in anyway "habitable" or even "potentially habitable"?

I.M.H.O... This planet, while not unique, is very rare. It's described as being in the "Goldilocks" zone. I'm sure that you'll be familiar with this concept... that it's not too big or too small or too close to it's host star or too far away. It has a very complex atmosphere and magnetic field that keeps the organic life that thrives here (relatively) safe from the ravages of the rest of the universe.

Like I say, (probably) not unique, but I think VERY rare. I would like to see the evidence that any of these "potentially habitable" planets have what is needed for any kind of recognisable life.

Maybe the proof I'm looking for is on the site, but if it is, I can't see it. :conF:

Nice picture mind! :mrgreen:
Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one.
–Albert Einstein.

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:58 pm

I understand your observations Rob, fair comment

the site lists "potentially" habitable planets

even "potentially" habitable planets within sight of our solar system are very rare

are agree with you, this planet is rare but I am sure there are more :tooT:

rob42
Investigator
Investigator

Post by rob42 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Here's another story along the same lines...

http://rt.com/news/tau-ceti-habitable-planet-409/

"Astronomers have discovered that the closest Sun-like star, Tau Ceti, is orbited by five planets, one of which is in the “habitable range”. If its existence is confirmed, the planet could be the closest potentially life-harboring world to our own.

Tau Ceti, twelve light years away, belongs to the same G-type yellow main-sequence class as our sun, which is relatively rare – only one in 25 stars has the same properties.
"

Again, no real proof about the potential for life or even that the planet is there! :roll:

Quote: "Tau Ceti is one of our nearest cosmic neighbours and so bright that we may be able to study the atmospheres of these planets in the not-too-distant future," James Jenkins, of the Universidad de Chile and the University of Hertfordshire, said in a statement. Un-quote.

Now that would be something, being able to study the atmosphere.

A thought... Maybe our planet is the first one to ever harbor life. There has to be a first time for everything, so maybe we are it. I'm not suggesting that there are no other planets out there with life upon them, but maybe we are the pioneers and the others are playing catch-up. ;)
Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one.
–Albert Einstein.

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:22 am

could be but I doubt it, I think there must be other intelligent extraTerrestrials out there but quite possibly so far off, we will never discover them
If its existence is confirmed, the planet could be the closest potentially life-harboring world to our own.
some of the planets and even MOONS in our own solar system are potentially life-harboring worlds and a damn sight closer

Saturn's Moons and Jupiter's Moons are repeatedly cited as potentially life-harboring worlds
Tau Ceti, is orbited by five planets, one of which is in the “habitable range”.
ok it is in the “habitable range”. but does it have an oxygen atmosphere? does it have trees? water? if not it is just as "useful" then say as Saturn's Moons and Jupiter's Moons which also do not have an oxygen atmosphere or trees or water :tooT: