Chariots of the Gods (1968)

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!
falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Chariots of the Gods (1968)

Post by falkor » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:40 pm

The book was adapted as a German documentary film Chariots of the Gods, produced by Sun International, and as a TV documentary In Search of Ancient Astronauts.

It also served as inspiration for the TV series Battlestar Galactica, the short-lived The Phoenix TV series, the feature film Stargate, its spinoff TV series, the Halo video game series, in the Alien vs. Predator film; where Predators came to Earth and "taught humans how to build".

The Ultimate Edition DVD of Stargate contains an interview with Erich von Däniken entitled, "Is There a Stargate?". The feature film Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull also uses the theme of ancient astronauts who landed in South America and interacted with early humans and mentions the Nazca Lines of Peru.

Also, in John Carpenter's The Thing, the character Palmer (played by David Clennon) says, when discussing the eponymous creature, "Chariots of the Gods, man. They practically own South America. I mean, they taught the Incas everything they know."

An early episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 showed Crow and Joel talking about Däniken's book, with Crow dismissing the ancient astronauts theory as absurd due to the age restrictions which were in place by NASA at the time (Crow: "Astronauts have to be between the ages of 23 and 37!"). This rule was changed when John Glenn made his second voyage into space two days before his 77th birthday.

SO, anybody read it?

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Re: Chariots of the Gods (1968)

Post by mj12cz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:39 am

I have but it was years ago... may be I should dig my copy out if I can find it and have another read.

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:41 pm

I remember it when it came out in 1968

I read it then and so did many others

it was very convincing at the time but it turns out it was simply "entertainment"

it was hugely discredited in subsequent years

despite being slagged off massively it continued to sell well with no corrections! :b-)

wonder universe
Researcher
Researcher

Post by wonder universe » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:49 pm

I agree many ideas came from that book, I had read it once that has a chapter or two or so? about ancient texts that mention visitors landing their craft, on rocky plains and that their clothing and kind of back packs were made of a metallic
woven fabric, also was said the villagers or tribes people were overwhelmed and saw them as Gods well anyone would living in those days, not sure if it was Africa or South America. below an of exert of what I wrote in ufo post page.

What I have found very fascinating over the years is the Nazca lines what is really cool is that you have to fly a couple miles up to see them, how was it be possible to be able to calculate the accuracy of those lines, also how to put them into place too how could they see what they were doing, as there was no such thing as aircraft in those days there was some speculation were hot air balloons but those Ancient times?

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:48 am

I loved Battlestar Galactica ! :mrgreen:
'' It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me ''

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:35 am

Just re read this book while in Czech and it been at least 25 years since I firsr read it and I forgot what a bloody good book it was!

Its now a bit out dated but it gives a lot of theories to some of the Crazy ideas I have. :mrgreen:

Infofeeder3
LLankhmar Gatherer
LLankhmar Gatherer
Holy: Moly

Post by Infofeeder3 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:19 am

Erich Von Daniken's books were the first ones I ever read on the subject of ufos and gods... I was 12 years old and the first book will have been 14 years old by then... can you imagine that? How far out there was he? What a total star, he has just written another book called History is Wrong and it can be bought from him at www.legendarytimesbooks.com I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!!! :vwide:
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, first you must create the universe.