Top 10 Alien Invasion Films

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!
falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Top 10 Alien Invasion Films

Post by falkor » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:45 am

Examiner AUG 2009 | Some of the greatest invasion films aren’t even that great of movies; they usually have corny lines, tons of overacting, or extreme implausibility, but that doesn’t stop them from being top on our lists of great sci-fi films. Because the 1950’s set the bar for all films of its kind to come, here is a list of the top alien invasion films that have been made since.
  1. District 9:
    An endangered race of aliens live as refugees in Johannesburg, South Africa at the mercy of the human government…Might be too early for you to put this film on the top of your list, but I hope we can agree that this is a better film than Independence Day.
    Starring: Sharlto Copley. Director: Neill Blomkamp.

Memorable Quotes: “That’s what they look like isn’t it…prawns.”
  2. Independence Day:
    U.F.O.’s hover in sky for days over the largest cities in the world, keeping man-kind on the edge of their seats waiting for whether these visitors are friend or foe. Soon the world will find out, they are no friends of ours…This was first time we saw what computer generation could really do to the White House. An overall; campy, corny, one-liner filled action film, but that doesn’t change the fact that when you saw it in the theater for the first time, watching as cities were being decimated by a beam of light, you couldn’t help but say, “whoa.”
    Starring: Will Smith, Bill Pullman and Jeff Goldblum. Director: Roland Emmerich.

Memorable Quotes: “Must go faster.”
  3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind:
    Battling a skeptical family and self-doubt, Roy Neary tries to make sense of the visions he has after encountering a U.F.O. Trying to convince himself he’s not crazy, Roy seeks the help of a woman whose son was abducted and a researcher who is preparing for extraterrestrial visitors…This film was Steven Speilberg’s masterful tribute to the alien films from the 50’s. It was a beautifully made film that had, at the time, cutting edge special effects and amazing visions of extraterrestrials. It took alien films from being known as cheesy and dumb, to thrilling and well-made. It’s also one of the few invasion films that embraces the unexplained visitors instead of immediately wanting to destroy them.
    Starring: Richard Dreyfuss, Teri Garr, and Melinda Dillion. Director: Steven Spielberg.

Memorable Quotes: “This means something. This is important.”
  4. War of the Worlds (2005):
    Ray Ferrier (Tom Cruise) tries to save his family from an alien race that has come to drain Earth of all its life…This film was something that we’ve seen before but in a new way; it was an alien film that cut right to the chase. Instead of repeated alien sightings or hovering U.F.O.’s for an hour, the film was simply, “aliens are here. Run now.”
    Starring: Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning. Director: Steven Spielberg.

Memorable Quotes: “We’re leaving this house in 60 seconds.”
  5. Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1978):
    Humans are being replaced by alien clones and only a biologist from San Francisco knows what’s going on. Can she stop this alien invasion?... This was a sci-fi film that quickly crossed genres in to horror with a single point and scream.
    Starring: Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum and Leonard Nimoy. Director: Philip Kaufman.

Memorable Quotes: “There's nothing to be afraid of. They were right. It's painless. It's good. Come. Sleep. Matthew.”
  6. M.I.B.:
    Agent J (Will Smith) and Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) are saving the world from aliens, one government cover-up at a time…This film made the existence of aliens and U.F.O.’s unquestionable and controllable, in a goofy way.
    Starring: Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, and Rip Torn. Director: Barry Sonnenfeld.

Memorable Quotes: “A person is smart, people are dumb…”
  7. Signs:
    Rev. Graham Hess (Mel Gibson) has lost his wife and his faith. On top of that, aliens are invading earth, and seem to be starting with his farm…This film was a success because like Alien, it didn’t reveal too much too soon. Director M. Night Shyamalan did well with building suspense through shadows and shady figures.
    Starring: Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix. Director: M. Night Shyamalan.

Memorable Quotes: “There’s a monster outside my room, can I have a glass of water?”
  8. Predator:
    In the jungles of South America, Dutch (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and his commando team are fighting for survival as they are stalked by an alien warrior who is hunting humans for sport…A classic Schwarzenegger film where an alien is invading simply out of boredom, and who better than Arnold to take him out.
    Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jesse Ventura. Director: John McTiernan.

Memorable Quotes: “If it bleeds, we can kill it.”
  9. Superman II:
    Thought to be the lone survivor of his home planet, Superman (Christopher Reeve) must battle three escaped convicts from planet Krypton. Truly his toughest battle yet, as Superman discovers his fellow Kryptonians share the same earthly powers as him…Earth’s favorite alien has always been Superman, and in this film we got him times three.
    Starring: Gene Hackman, Christopher Reeve, Ned Beatty. Director: Richard Lester.

Memorable Quotes: “So this is planet Houston.”
  10. Mars Attacks!: Aliens from Mars invade Earth to achieve total world domination, destroying any one in their way…Directed by Tim Burton and featuring a star studded cast, Mars Attacks! is silly and ridiculous, but Burton pays playful homage to the 1950’s invasion films by first, using Martians as the aliens, and second, by designing the invaders as a-typical aliens with bulbous heads, little bodies, huge dome helmets, arriving in flying saucers.
    Starring: Jack Nicholson, Glenn Close, and Annette Bening. Director: Tim Burton.

wonder universe
Researcher
Researcher

Re: Top 10 Alien Invasion Films

Post by wonder universe » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:47 pm

good choice of films falkor, My fave films out of those are:

1. Close encounters of the third kind, not really a family movie, but the idea that flight 19 had been abducted that was sure Spielberg genius, was pretty fascinating way back in 1978 and still is awe inspiring today even though a bit dated, never been a movie quite like it to stand up to its standard in that genre.

2. Predator 1987 I agree A classic Schwarzenegger film, also a brilliant concept of man being hunted for a change...

3.Invasion of the Body-snatchers (1978): good eerie atmospheric movie very good, also a clever brilliant performance by Donald Sutherland...

4. Signs a good jumpy creepy film with surprises when first watched, but still very good.

5. M.I.B. ( men in black) just to let You know I know what it means Lol! good fun a little corny seen it a few times but worn out for Me as the silly bits soil it, mind You did watch it with My Sisters kids but there You go lol!

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:57 am

You forgot

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
'' It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me ''

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:52 am

DarkKnight wrote:You forgot

that was a good film and the remake wasn't bad either!

Also Day of the Triffids, was a kind of invasion film as well.

This is not a film but its a bloody brilliant book... The Kraken wakes, by John Wyndham as well.

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:24 pm

hehe I read that when I was a teenager!!

nice one Pat :tooT: brings back memories

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:17 pm

mj12cz wrote:
DarkKnight wrote:You forgot

that was a good film and the remake wasn't bad either!

Also Day of the Triffids, was a kind of invasion film as well.

This is not a film but its a bloody brilliant book... The Kraken wakes, by John Wyndham as well.

Its a classic film and I enjoyed the remake too.

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:33 pm

sheesh I never heard of DISTRICT 9 before seeing this news article

> > TRAILER > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PDlMggROA looks amazing

has anybody seen it?

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:49 pm

I watched the trailer the other day and it looked bloody brill.... Its on my list!

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:55 pm

how long has it been out Pat?

I gotta see that, plus the newest Star Trek that was on at the cinema a couple of months back - wish I had gone to see that now as well :gog:

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:09 pm

I'm not sure if its come out yet, I think it coming out soon.

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:01 pm

District 9 aint out yet and the New Star Trek please me and I'm a hardcore fan.