'UFO' Over South Pole=Debunkers Delight!

Genuine info on aliens please!
Gatherer
Gatherer
Holy: Prophet

'UFO' Over South Pole=Debunkers Delight!

Post by 1963 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:37 am

'UFO' Spotted Over South Pole
Hi Guys!
I just came across this article on the 'Business Insider' website...It concerns a Youtube video that has cobbled together a few frames of time lapse shots that were taken of the Antarctic research station Neumayer-Station III on august 10th, and appears to show a perfectly formed spherical UFO?...or just a weather balloon?

As a person that stands firmly in the Pro-ETH camp, I have looked at a uncountable number of photographs , videos etc, just in case the thousands that have seen them before me have carelessly overlooked the glaringly-obvious smoking-gun!...[haven't found it yet. lol.]
And in my humble opinion after initially seeing 'the antarctic sphere' I would say that It is a pretty good picture , but is what I personally believe to be standard fare for this type of pictorial evidence!..."Could be anything?...in this case ,..most likely a balloon!"

Take a look for yourselves...

....But the reason that I bothered to post this thread , was to express my thorough contempt for the kind of sarcastic , condescending 'bullcrap' that regularly comes straight from the mouth , pen or keyboard of the likes of Benjamin Radford who is deputy editor of Skeptical Inquirer science magazine and author of this article....

http://www.businessinsider.com/spherica ... ole-2012-8

I was going to go into a tirade of counter insults, generously laced with a commensurate amount of vituperative personalisations of 'the extra hard-line sceptics' (a.k.a..the debunkers! ) such as Menzel, Klass, Oberg , 'Radford ' etc,...and also point out the sheer crassness of expecting any logically-minded reader on either side of the fence to accept the statement of .."it also appears to be nearly perfectly round and about the right size for a balloon."...as some kind of proof that the image must therefore be of 'a weather balloon'!... A clear indication that the 'burden of proof standards' are not quite in sync , and is indubitably biased toward the anti-ETH camp ! [Why doesn't he use his influence to get the definitive proof that this was a weather balloon exercise directly from the horses mouth at the Neumayer-Station, instead of stating that "a definitive explanation has not been found", ?.]
....And there are more holes such as this in Radford's summarization of the antarctic-sphere ...but to tell you the truth,..I just can't be bothered now!...the five minutes or so that it as taken me to make this post has been ample time for my imperturbation to return. ;)
...except to say that although the fact is that I would agree with Mr.Radford's assertion that the photographed anomaly was probably a Balloon of some description...The general egocentrism that is constantly displayed by the likes of the Skeptical Inquirer, Bad Astronomy, UFOskeptic magazine's et al , is both sickening and detrimental towards what is supposed to be 'the common goal of All who are interested in the UFO/ETH genre..."Finding And Accepting The Truth Behind The Mythos"!, and not just simply using this picture to launch a general all-out attack on the pro-ET/UFO community! :bum:

Cheers.
GORT...KLAATU BARADA NIKTO.

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Re: 'UFO' Over South Pole=Debunkers Delight!

Post by falkor » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzUOqL4Cxu4

Published on 11 Aug 2012 Obviously, this is not the moon. This is a real object in the sky! Maybe it's the appearance of Nibiru? The image can be viewed here http://www.awi.de/NM_WebCam/livemovieW.html The time interval 11: 10.
For more exclusive information on UFOs, visit: http://x-u-f-o.blogspot.com
well said 1963, no way is it a balloon

and yes Obviously, this is not the moon, hold on one second here, it's not the moon? why not? 8-)

one of the problems with this is the terrible weather conditions but the YouTube is very interesting

1963, debunkers delight? yes I see your point but let's assume it is a UFO and not the Moon - the width of it could be 40' across or 4' across, difficult to say

Maybe it's the appearance of Nibiru? what the hell is Nibiru when it's at home? :gog:

rob42
Investigator
Investigator

Post by rob42 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:14 am

The main issue I have with this is that, so far as I can see, from my research as an armature astronomer, the Sun would have been well below the horizon (as would the Moon b.t.w) as from the observation point of 0 deg E/W - 90 deg S on 10/08/2012, which is the date that this picture is supposed to be from .

But the picture clearly shows sun-light illuminating the building in the foreground (quite low in the sky, I would say) that would not have been possible until the morning of the 21/09/2012, the Moon being visible in the S.W and the Sun in the S.S.E at that time, and does not set again for another 26 weeks!

In fact, I've just checked my data and confirmed it with this... http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_does_24_ ... South_Pole

So, before we get into what this may or may not be, we need to clear up the date issue as you can't say if it is the Moon or not if you don't know what date the picture is from.

Come on, this is basic research...

:ugeek:
Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one.
–Albert Einstein.

Gatherer
Gatherer
Holy: Prophet

Post by 1963 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 am

rob42 wrote:The main issue I have with this is that, so far as I can see, from my research as an armature astronomer, the Sun would have been well below the horizon (as would the Moon b.t.w) as from the observation point of 0 deg E/W - 90 deg S on 10/08/2012, which is the date that this picture is supposed to be from .

But the picture clearly shows sun-light illuminating the building in the foreground (quite low in the sky, I would say) that would not have been possible until the morning of the 21/09/2012, the Moon being visible in the S.W and the Sun in the S.S.E at that time, and does not set again for another 26 weeks!

In fact, I've just checked my data and confirmed it with this... http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_does_24_ ... South_Pole

So, before we get into what this may or may not be, we need to clear up the date issue as you can't say if it is the Moon or not if you don't know what date the picture is from.

Come on, this is basic research...

:ugeek:
There was actually two hours of sunlight at Neumayer-Station III on 10/08/2012!...A bit of basic research instead of simply posting cut and paste generalised factoids from wiki would have lead you to a few articles that shows that for medical reasons an american scientist had to be rescued from the region on the very same day, and explains that the reason for the difficulties of carrying out the operation was that there is only two hours of sunlight on that day ...here's a couple of basic links to corroborate the date's probable-validity....

http://www.cnn.co.uk/2012/08/08/world/a ... index.html

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2012/s3565339.htm

But after all that is said and done...the point of this thread was not intended to validate a 'genuine ufo' flying above the station...but a condemnation of the condescending attitude of the 'Debunker-faction' in the genre!

Cheers.

rob42
Investigator
Investigator

Post by rob42 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks for that.

The real point of my post was in answer the comment "and yes Obviously, this is not the moon, hold on one second here, it's not the moon? why not? 8-)"... my point being that a little basic research can prove why it's not the moon which is why I wanted to validate the time and date of the footage.

Also I'm not suggesting that you are trying to validate a 'genuine ufo' flying above the station. All I was saying (whilst not having a go at you) is that the date of the video footage seemed to be at odds with the scene presented and that this should be the first (as it's probably the easiest) thing the clear up. I fully admit that my grasp of astronomy is not even close to enabling me to work out where the sun would be at that time, in that location. But at the same time, I know enough about the subject to know that something doesn't seem to add up, but I could be wrong. As I said, the Sun looks to be very low in the sky, plus (as I've discovered) the Neumayer Station is about 1800km East of the South Pole . Maybe that's far enough East to bring the Sun above the horizon at that time?

I was hoping that someone with better knowledge than me on the subject would either correct me or agree with me. I don't think that posting information about a news story in a location 3500km away (that also seems to have happened on a different day??) does anything to clarify the situation. But again, I could be wrong :?

(b.t.w, I'm not cutting and pasting generalised factoids; I'm providing the links to the information source, in the same way that you, and most other people that post information, do)

Ref:
US NSF - OPP - PRSS - McMurdo Station
http://www.nsf.gov/od/opp/support/mcmurdo.jsp
McMurdo Station, located at 77 degrees 51 minutes S, 166 degrees 40 minutes E

Ref:
http://www.awi.de/en/infrastructure/sta ... r_station/
Ekström Shelf Ice, Atka Bay, north-eastern Weddell Sea
Position: 70°40'S, 008°16'W

If I could be bothered, I could model the time and date, but I don't see any point in wasting any more time on it.

:hmmm:
Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one.
–Albert Einstein.